Sunday, November 23, 2008

100 things I love in the world

(Inspired by Heather's most excellent post. I could have lifted at least half of hers into my own list, but I'm going to aim for no repeats.)

1. sea urchins
2. the smells of wood smoke, mulch, pine trees and apple blossoms
3. ginkgo leaves
4. accordion music
5. pajamas
6. asymmetry
7. fairy tales/folk tales/mythology
8. all members of the genus Corvus: crows, ravens, magpies, etc.
9. crumbling, post-industrial landscapes
10. insects
11. clouds
12. new pens
13. silly graffiti
14. obscure graffiti
15. quirky, beautiful graffiti
16. enthusiasts of every stripe
17. a sense of the absurd
18. random acts of whimsy
19. almond cookie ice cream at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
20. goofy presents
21. old cemeteries
22. a plain outside hiding a surprising interior
23. cooking an elaborate dinner for friends
24. cooking an elaborate dinner just for me
25. creepy store window displays
26. exploring new neighborhoods
27. soup
28. dumplings
29. soup dumplings
30. starting a new venture
31. finishing a big project
32. canoeing with my dad
33. old family photos
34. thunderstorms
35. the fact that "Historic Bell Stolen Again" is front-page, above-the-fold news in Bennington
36. a big pile of books waiting to be read
37. pretty tea towels
38. falling asleep on the couch while reading on a Sunday afternoon
39. things that shouldn't work but do, like rose campion's combination of intensely pink flowers and muted grey-green leaves
40. hiking
41. plants that look like aliens
42. using New Year's Day to set the tone for the year
43. deviled eggs
44. watching whole seasons of tv shows on dvd
45. boysenberries
46. Moleskine notebooks
47. fancy chickens.
48. a challenging yoga practice.
49. recipes for terrible-sounding jell-o salads
50. dressing for dinner
51. unusual rabbits
52. punk: the music, the aesthetic, the attitude
53. making gingerbread houses
54. really elaborate costumes
55. a rollicking argument about something silly (zombies v. unicorns, anyone?)
56. the meat department at the now-closed Western Beef supermarket on 14th St. + 9th Ave., where instead of putting meat in refrigerated cases, they put it on shelves and refrigerated the entire room, like some kind of crazy royal storehouse
57. the fact that no one ever found that quite as odd and hilarious as I did
58. first-hand accounts of exploration
59. Lou Reed
60. fresh eucalyptus
61. surprising juxtapositions
62. pink dogwoods
63. bitter greens
64. having something you designed come out exactly the way you wanted it to
65. the Brooklyn Bridge
66. chicken soup with lemon juice
67. bare branches against a grey sky
68. mulled cider
69. silver shoes
70. remembering your dreams
71. my Aunt Yolanda's Christmas cookies
72. mutual admiration societies
73. moss and lichens
74. taking the day off on your birthday
75. stumbling across ruins
76. well-written mystery novels
77. a spirit of experimentation
78. pranks
79. the quality of light when the sky is front of you is dark, but the sun is shining behind you
80. sitting at the counter/eating at the bar
81. candlelight
82. cheering the runners on at the marathon
83. arranging books by color
84. Eastern European folk music
85. Catherine Ledner's animal photographs
86. hot pink nail polish
87. The Lower East Side Tenement Museum
88. altered taxidermy that looks like captured fairy tale creatures
89. all things yarn-related
90. the Mr. Romance competition
91. vegetables that contain smaller versions of themselves inside
92. Secret Science Club
93. old-fashioned butcher shops
94. the Promenade
95. oysters
96. keeping houseplants alive
97. friends in bands
98. peeling paint
99. sweets with just a bit of salt
100. the fact that I might have to do a follow-up since I had to leave so much out of this list

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yay!!! I love this. Yesterday I was thinking that a list of things I love must be pretty boring to other people, but the fact that I SO enjoyed reading each item on your list and thinking "Oh, TOTALLY!!" to myself about almost every one has changed my mind!

I feel like there is a related art project somehow since I would really like to look at a long list of loved things every day.

hmm... also, Facebook!

Ashley said...

I LOVED this. I just sat down to start feeling sorry for myself again (boo!), but then I saw your post. It completely lifted my spirits and reminded me that no matter how some things in life are going, there are 100s of things around me every day to love. Thank you!!