Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vegetable and tofu red curry

Liz and I took a break from our porcine endeavors this week to cook up some really easy, really delicious veggies and tofu. I used this recipe as the baseline, swapping in fresh vegetable for frozen and close to doubling the amount of curry paste. And even though it says not to use low-fat coconut milk, we did. And it was fine. When I make it myself, which will be soon because I just went out at lunch and bought supplies to make another big batch for lunches next week, I'll be leaving out the fish sauce — it's a quirk; even though I love foods that contain it, I can't stand the smell of the stuff straight and have to get someone else to add it while I stand well out of range — but I'll add some soy sauce, which is my usual trick in these cases. Also, with the amount of vegetables we used, I'd suggest doubling the curry paste and adding another can of coconut milk over what's listed below, especially if you like your curry soupy. We would have, but only had one can on hand. It made enough sauce to thoroughly coat everything, but no more than that.Vegetable and Tofu Red Curry
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 T bottled red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed
1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, cubed

Cook onion in olive oil in a heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate, then add garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in vegetables and return to a boil. Cover pot, then reduce heat and cook at a brisk simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Gently stir in tofu and simmer curry, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in fish sauce and salt to taste. Serve curry with rice.

Then for dessert, Liz whipped up a batch of these blondies, subbing in cream cheese for the mascarpone.

No comments: