Monday, December 21, 2009

The best use of leftovers I've found: a non-recipe

Last week, I found myself with a big bowl full of leftover potatoes and sweet potatoes that I had roasted with garlic and rosemary (and lemon juice, but I didn't end up tasting it in the finished dish). I didn't have any plans to make anything that would be good to serve with potatoes, but I remembered a trick for using up weird leftovers that I had kind of forgotten about: calzones.

Pretty much anything goes in calzones. For these, I mixed up a batch of pizza dough, then caramelized an onion,
chopped the potatoes up into smaller pieces and cooked them with the onion until they were hot, then mixed in about 4 oz. of gorgonzola that happened to be in the fridge. I divided the dough into fourths, which ended up producing ridiculously large calzones that I cut in half to eat and serve. If I had been more on the ball, I would have done eight smaller ones, but I wasn't.
I sprinkled them with rosemary that ended up falling off after they were done and baked them at 450 for about 20 minutes, until the crust was nicely browned.
I brought some along as road food when two friends and I drove to Philadelphia the next day. They're also ideal for bringing to work for lunch, since they're good hot, cold or room-temperature.
There really isn't much of a recipe to go with this. Make or buy your favorite pizza dough, then wrap 1/2 c. to 1 c. of your not-too-liquidy leftovers in it and bake.

[originally posted on my old food blog 10.29.2008]

No comments: