Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I have opinions about chicken soup.

1. Lemon juice is essential.
2. So is milk.
3. Don't argue. The combination gives the soup a kind of Northern European tom kha gai flavor profile that is seriously addictive.
3. Pasta, rice and barley are all nice. However, the first two should be cooked separately and mixed in the bowl to avoid them getting all soft and bloated in the leftovers, but barley can be cooked in the soup. I'm partial to orzo, but have been using barley lately out of laziness.
4. I've had other chicken soups that were fine and I enjoyed, but this is the only one I truly love.

Chicken Soup
2 T butter
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 or 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
8 c. broth
2 whole cloves
4 whole peppercorns
carrots, peeled and chopped
parsnips, peeled and chopped
celery, chopped
other vegetables if you like. snow peas are a nice addition. so are grape tomatoes and mushrooms. turnips?
1/2 c. barley
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 1/2 c. milk

Brown the onion in butter over medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add the chicken, broth, vegetables, barley and spices. Lower heat and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, then remove chicken to a plate. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it and add back to soup. Make sure barley is tender, then add the lemon juice and stir well. Add the milk. Adjust for salt as needed.

[originally posted on my old food blog 11.11.2009]

1 comment:

Vanessa + Jenny said...

Hi Stephanie! I haven't visited your blog in a few months and am so happily surprised that you've started adding your recipes & food experiments to this blog! Yay - I'll definitely be trying out a few of the recipes.

Just pottering around 2 hours before New Year's (I'm in Sydney, Australia - so I think we're ahead of you guys for New Year's). I've got my dog (Gus) with me who is lying on my feet(!) terrified of the fireworks going on outside in the neighbourhood. I've got the fairy lights on in the kitchen and I'm listening to the radio as I'm typing this, with my belly happily filled with homemade pizza.

I watched "Summertime" - the David Lean film with Katharine Hepburn on dvd last night (also known as "Summer Madness" in the UK, I think). And enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would! It must be the whole summer thing...and wishing I was travelling right now. Especially Venice. Have you ever seen it?

Well, I really do hope that 2010 will be a better year for you! Keep up the spirit, I'm always inspired by you when I visit your blog. And I hope you did end up finding a better place to live. Happy New Year!

Vanessa (I'm vetiverknits on ravelry)