Monday, December 21, 2009

Alone in the kitchen with some soba noodles

This recipe is one that...
...I lifted wholesale from another site (via Ashley)
...is super-quick to throw together
...is really tasty, but kind of odd
...only makes one serving
...I've had for dinner either three or four times in the last week.

Basically, you cook some soba noodles,
toss them with a quick sauce made of stuff that's probably hanging around your kitchen already (or should be! -- I'm notoriously bad at remembering to get ginger, but once I heard you can freeze it, I've been better)
and throw an over-easy egg on top that you cooked in the remnants of the sauce.
I like to cut the eggs up with my fork and mix it with the noodles so the yolk glazes the whole thing.
These photos are from the first time I made this; after that I started using two eggs instead of one for maximum yolk glazage. Also, throwing some spinach in with the soba noodles right before you drain them is both tasty and good at quieting the little voice that's asking where the vegetables are.

Sesame-Garlic Soba Noodles with Fried Egg
1 bundle soba noodles
2 t. sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
knob of ginger, grated or minced
crushed red pepper flakes
1 T soy sauce
1 scallion, thinly sliced
2 eggs

Cook soba noodles in salted water and drain.
Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and scallion and saute until fragrant. Pour over noodles and toss to combine. Put the frying pan back on the stove on medium-high and crack two eggs into it, being careful not to break the yolks. When whites are set, flip carefully and cook for a minute or two, until whites are set and yolk is still liquid. Slide the eggs on top of the noodles and dig in.

[originally posted on my old food blog 11.5.2008]

No comments: