Friday, August 6, 2010

(Something is afoot at any rate.)

I've always liked books and movies where magic is happening just out of the corner of the protagonist's eye. Objects shift, creatures appear and melt back into the shadows, chaos reigns, then everything snaps back into order as soon as the character looks directly at it.

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of story I'm in, mostly because that's how I WANT to see the world, but more specifically because when I was walking home after work, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that read, 'I am not a nudist.'

'What an odd sentiment to espouse so publicly,' I thought, 'What kind of fascinating person is that worried about strangers making that particular mistake? Is he or she often nude but has ideological differences with the larger community of nudISTs? Or are they really super uptight?' I had a lot of questions. And some theories. But by the time I turned my head, the sticker had been replaced by one bearing the far more prosaic statement, 'I [heart] my bulldog.'

Obviously, magic is afoot.

1 comment:

Troop 2440 said...

I am constantly mystified at what brings someone to buy a t-shirt/bumper sticker/mug and display it prominently. I just saw a guy wearing a t-shirt with a big arrow pointing up that said "Stop texting". Is this something that bothers him that much? Maybe he's a school teacher.

I especially wonder at the super-aggressive t-shirts. When you are waking up in the morning and deciding what to wear, what makes you reach for the one saying what a b*tch you are. Kind of sets the tone for the day.

Have you heard of a new kid's book called The Shadows, which is the first book in a kids series called the Books of Elsewhere? I just read it to my daughter and it was fun and magical. And even had cats.