Monday, July 26, 2010

Salvage operation: deviled egg toast

I've gotten in the habit of keeping hard-boiled eggs around. They're easy to make (eggs in pan, cold water to cover, bring to a boil, cover, let sit for 12 minutes, cool in a bowl of ice water) and handy for mid-afternoon protein boosts at work or when the occasional craving for deviled eggs hits, like it did last night. When I set about peeling a couple I had in the fridge, I realized that I had screwed up the timing with the most recent batch and had half a dozen gorgeous CSA eggs with yolks that were barely set and whites that were jellied and, truth be told, a little gooey.
I figured they'd still work for egg salad though and mashed them up with a big spoonful of grainy mustard, a handful of chopped cornichons, dollop of mayonnaise, paprika, and salt. Creamy and flavorful, spread on wheat toast and sprinkled with more paprika, it made a mighty fine light dinner, maybe even more delicious than a plate of deviled eggs would have been.

No comments: