Friday, July 2, 2010

Cajeta

My supply of Fat Toad Farm goat's milk caramel is running low. It's splendid stuff, but at nearly $8 for that size jar (not that I begrudge them! they have goat maintenance to pay for!), I figured it was something worth trying to make for myself. I've made not-very-exciting dulce de leche in the past, but thought that it was worth having a go at a goat's milk version.

I used this recipe, though I halved it (except for the vanilla. because in all the excitement of looking to see if I had any vanilla beans left and realizing I didn't, I forgot and threw in a whole tablespoon of extract. lord knows that keeping track of four whole ingredients is awfully taxing) and added a cinnamon stick while it cooked. And it turned out pretty well! It took a lot less time than that experiment last year, just about an hour and a half. The color is pretty close to the Fat Toad stuff and while it's a little bit thinner, I noticed that they list cornstarch in their ingredients so they're helping things along a bit. I think it would have been better with half the vanilla, but it's a minor quibble and easily corrected next time.

No comments: