Monday, October 12, 2009

October upstate

This year, for the first time in at least half a decade, I managed to get upstate in the fall before all of the foliage was gone. After some time with my mom, sorting through many boxes of old family photos (and snagging some that I'll post when I find someone to scan them for me — Mah 80s Fashuns: Let Me Show You Them!), I spent some time hiking with my dad. We went up Mt. Greylock on Saturday, which was a good, strenuous hike, but a little nerve wracking on the descent since it had been raining and a lot of the steep parts of the trail were wet rocks covered with wet leaves.
The summit was completely fogged in, but we had a couple of nice vistas open up on the way down once we were out of the clouds.
Looking out across the street from my father's front yard. The low trees in front are part of an apple orchard that goes with a farm stand a little bit down the road. We walked over Sunday morning to pick some for ourselves.
I'm pretty sure they were calling the pumpkins pick-your-own too, but it looked like they had all been cut off the vines and arranged picturesquely in the field. Funny, but sweet. And practical, I suppose, since they'd otherwise have to send people out with knives or risk them pulling up the whole plant.
I'm partial to the flowers that grow on the side of the road upstate in the late summer and early fall — Queen Anne's lace, chicory, brown-eyed Susans, all of the different colors of asters, especially the incongruous lavender ones that covered this hillside.We took a quick trip to Thatcher Park Sunday afternoon for the awesome views and walked a bit on one of the trails. We used to take class trips here to look at the fossils in the rocks along the trail, but I hadn't been back in ages. I'm sure I remember the trail along the bottom of the escarpment being closed completely for years after part of the mountain fell off, but I can't find any confirmation in a quick online search.
Geologically significant, field-trip-worthy rocks. They're pretty spectacular in person.

No comments: